Friday 22 May 2015

Wellies and Westies- Cressida McLaughlin

The Blurb

Hilarious, touching and fun, Primrose Terrace will appeal to dog lovers everywhere and fans of Lucy Diamond, Cathy Bramley and Trisha Ashley.

Catherine ‘Cat’ Palmer realises, too late, that bringing an adorable puppy into work at the local nursery was a bad idea, especially after the ensuing chaos gets her the sack.

Determined to turn a negative into a positive, Cat decides this is the perfect opportunity to get her dog-walking business off the ground with the help of her flatmates, Polly and Joe. After all, Primrose Terrace where she lives, is full of home-alone hounds…

Wellies and Westies is the first part of a serialized novel told in four parts – all set in Primrose Terrace.

The Review

I was so delighted when Wellies and Westies popped up on my kindle!  It was one of my most anticipated releases of the Spring and I was sure I'd love it.  After all, who doesn't love a westie?  They're one of the cutest dog breeds around.  I also loved the cover, with its bright, fresh colours, perfect for the season and that subtle hint of romance with the male and female feet heading towards each other. 

The story itself was cute- Cat has moved to a new area and taken a job at a nursery.  She knows it's not the right place for her, but on a practical level it's a real blow when she gets the sack-she's still got her bills to pay, after all.  So, she uses her initiative, and with the encouragement of her friends Polly and Joe her new business 'Pooch Promenade' is born. 

Cat's new career is one aspect of this novella, but her love life is another.  She keeps running into Mark and his collie in the neighbourhood when she's out walking the dogs, but he's hard to fathom.  The owner of the local coffee shop has suspicions he's up to no good, and is he romantically involved with the minor celebrity who lives down the road?

I didn't take to Mark at all, I'm sorry to say.  He gave me the willies with his arrogant nature and borderline slimy flirting.  Cat's flatmate Joe on the other hand-he was much more my type.  I'm looking forward to finding out more about him and his well-toned abs in the next book...

But Wellies and Westies introduces not just the human characters, because there are canine ones too-and they really are characters in their own right.  I'm definitely dog broody as a result of reading this.  Disco is an absolute charmer of a dog! 

Cressida McLaughlin has an easy-to-read writing style and a chatty and engaging voice, which reminded me of Sophie Kinsella.  I can absolutely see why she's so highly regarded within the genre and I'm sure this series is going to be a great platform for her to build her readership.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novella, my only complaint being that it seemed to end too abruptly.  The next instalment of Primrose Terrace is out next month, and I can't help but wonder if it would have worked better if the publisher had released this series as a full length.  That said, I'm certainly going to keep reading and look forward to Sunshine and Spaniels' release on June 18th.

Wellies and Westies is out now in ebook format, published by Harper.
With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment