Friday 14 August 2015

Crazy, Undercover, Love- Nikki Moore



The Blurb

*Shortlisted for the Joan Hessayon Award for New Writers 2015*

Uber-feisty career girl Charley Caswell-Wright travels to Barcelona for a weekend assignment as PA to the gorgeous Alex Demetrio, CEO of Demetrio International.

But she's there under entirely false pretenses: to get her life back on track. Having lost the job she worked so hard to earn, she’s determined not to give it up so easily, especially when she didn’t deserve to lose it in the first place.

Mr Dreamy CEO is her only chance of clawing back her career – and her reputation. So she has to keep things strictly professional… boy, is she in trouble!

The Review

I've had this book on my kindle for the best part of eighteen months, but for some reason I hadn't got around to reading it.  However, having read the five novellas in Nikki Moore's Love London series and waiting for the release of the final full-length instalment Picnics in Hyde Park (which came out yesterday- yay!) I decided it was time to read Crazy, Undercover, Love.

Charley, who has lost everything following her dismissal from the job she loved, is determined to clear her name. She's worked too hard for too long to allow her reputation to be tarnished by false allegations.  In an attempt to prove her innocence, Charley blags her way into a temporary PA role for CEO Alex Demetrio.  However, she didn't bargain on there being a magnetic attraction...

What I really loved about this book was Charley's strong-willed, feminist attitude- more heroines like this please!  It totally challenged the myth that women in romance novels are all reliant on men (that stereotype comes from outside the romance reading/writing community, but it's very definitely still there) and I found her commitment and drive inspirational. 

Alex was the alpha male- successful, handsome, on a bit of a power trip.  That doesn't always work for me, but I actually found myself drawn to him.  He was a bit of an enigma, and I liked that.  By the time I reached the end of the book it was easier to understand why he behaved the way he did, and although I'd correctly predicted the conclusion pretty early on I still felt satisfied by the ending of Charley and Alex's story.  It had a strong, unique plot which had me glued to my kindle and just the right amount of romance/sex alongside the more serious storyline of Charley's dismissal.

I liked how the story had flashbacks to the situation that left Charley in her predicament and felt that for a debut novelist Nikki Moore handled these exceptionally well.  The writing style was highly readable and I was surprised by how soon I seemed to reach the end of the book!

Crazy, Undercover, Love is a meaty romance with a strong plot, which may appeal to fans of Christina Lauren.

Crazy, Undercover, Love is out now, published by Harper Impulse.

With thanks to the publisher who provided me with a copy of this book in return for an honest, unbiased review.

I read this book as part of the #HIReadathon 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment