Wednesday 13 January 2016

The 2015 Catch Up - Part One!

Towards the end of 2015 I read quite a few books and didn't have chance to write reviews for them.  I've accepted I'll never catch up with my blog posts if I try and write a full review for each, so I'm doing a catch up post instead!

The Wrong Side of Right -Jenn Marie Thorne


A cute heartfelt romance between Kate, the lovechild of senator Mark Cooper and the president's son. The Wrong Side of Right also had strong moral messages on family, loyalty, immigration and standing up for what you believe in. Kate was a brilliant main character and I was desperate to know how the story would end.  I loved this YA book and am looking forward to more books by this author!                  

Carry On - Rainbow Rowell


Having adored Fangirl and being totally and utterly in love with Baz, I couldn't wait to read this companion book.  For me, it didn't have the same level of magic (no pun intended) as the previous book, and I preferred Cath's fanfic version of Simon and Baz's story to the story in Carry On.  An enjoyable read, and an interesting idea - writing fanfiction about your own fictional characters?  Rainbow Rowell - you're kind of a genius.

The Piano Man Project - Kat French


Kat French hits the perfect balance of humour and romance in The Piano Man Project.  It's also interesting to read a book where the hero bucks convention.  In fact, Hal is moody, cynical, often unlikable, but his flaws (and the story behind them) are what makes this book stand out from the crowd.  Great to see something so refreshingly different in the romance genre.

The Crossroads of Should and Must - Elle Luna



I've been reading a few self-help/inspirational books lately and The Crossroads of Should and Must is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing.  Elle Luna's stunningly simplistic artwork accompanies a message we've all heard before of prioritising what you love and making time to do what makes you happy, but the combination of the two is calming and inspiring.  A gorgeous book to remind you to focus on what is important to YOU.  I bought it on a whim, and I'm so glad I did.

I'll be back later in the week talking about some of the other books I've recently read.

No comments:

Post a Comment